FYI on privately owned Skyhawks: IF a/c is certified "Experimental Research and Development", it is in the category used for contract services, but is not allowed to fly in air-shows due to TFR. (Temporary Flight Restricted). Warbirds flown in air-shows are certified as "Experimental Exhibition".
Flying Skyhawk for Sale!
For Sale = TA-4J N518TA (IT is flying)
Pacific Aero: Don Keating, restoration by Mike McDougal of Fighting Classics Restoration of BuNo. 158486 c/n 14291.
Don also has parts for two more TA-4F/Js (153469 N670TF and 153484 N685TF ? )
Close to Flyable.
Price : $1,750,000, Location: Washington
Brief Description: Make an offer on this TA-4J with a nearly completed restoral, zero time engine, and primered ready for your paint scheme. This is a privately owned military aircraft. Details: 5407 TTAF, 0 SMOH Pratt &Whitney J52-P8B, Dual Collins VIR-22C, Dual Collins VIR-32C, Trimble 2101 GPS, Collins DME-42, Collins TDR-90 XPDR, ADF, Radar Altimeter, Dual Audio Panels, Standard fuel plus three auxiliary fuel drop tanks, Full anti-ice system, Full interior and exterior night lighting & strobes, Crew oxygen, Dual ejection seats (not presently armed, no pyros), Int. Standard military configuration and colors, Ext.Green primer ready for paint, Inspection Information: Hydraulic Fluid Analysis: 2007, L MLG, R MLG, Nose Gear Overhaul: 2006, Eddy Current, Wing Spar, Corrosion. Inspection: 2005, Flight Control Rigging: 2007. The aircraft was completely inspected in 2007 and is 90% restored. The engine has been completely replaced with a new J52–P8B as of July 2005. This engine is zero (0) timed and has not flown. It was provided by an OEM-licensed supplier. The engine has been run and needs final trimming. Aircraft to be sold as-is, where-is. Contact Info: Bob Fredriks Kent, Washington.
TA-4J Fredriks Pic1
TA-4J Fredriks Pic2
TA-4J Fredriks Pic3
TA-4J Fredriks Pic4
TA-4J Fredriks Pic5
Restorations for Museums and/or Flying.
Formerly reserved for Malaysia, these Skyhawks went up for sale to the civilian population.
- Updated 24DEC 2015
- 145064: N128AT A-4C for restoration by Lonny Ferrin Houston TX.
- 145076: N129AT A-4L .
- 145128: N132AT went to A-4 LLC to fly as contract bird, but was lost.
- 147669: N135AT A-4L with Thomas Samuelson Delanson, NY. for restoration.
- 147671: N142AT A-4L.
- 147679: A-4L Greg Shephard for restoration.
- 147690: N143AT went to A-4L LLC to fly as a contract bird.
- 147696: N144AT A-4C BuNo 147696 with Michael Galante, Andover MN.
- 147726: A-4C Cut-up for art display "Ross">
- 147754 A-4L: BuNo 147754 (N145AT) purchased for Southwest Florida Defense Antiquities Museum Inc. -- AND then restoral.
2004: tail section view of former VC-2 Blue Tails A-4L Skyhawk BuNo 147754 resting in the Arizona sunshine.
2004 right front viewof former VC-2 Blue Tails A-4L Skyhawk BuNo 147754.
2004 left front view of former VC-2 Blue Tails A-4L Skyhawk BuNo 147754
2004 cockpit view of former VC-2 Blue Tails A-4L Skyhawk BuNo 147754
2004 right console view of former VC-2 Blue Tails A-4L Skyhawk BuNo 147754
2004 left console view of former VC-2 Blue Tails A-4L Skyhawk BuNo 147754
2004 ejection seat view of former VC-2 Blue Tails A-4L Skyhawk BuNo 147754
Photos by Greg Shepard via Joe Turpen.
22SEP06: Once offered on "ebay" for sale at $75,000.
- 147761: N146AT went to A-4 LLC to fly as a contract bird.
- 147768: N147AT went to A-4 LLC to fly as a contract bird.
- 147793: 147793 N-148 AT Pic1 Raptor Aviation
- 147793 Pic2 Raptor Aviation
- 147793 Pic3
- 147793 Pic4
- 147793 Pic5Raptor Aviation
- 147815: N153AT formerly of Roberts Aviation, Hamilton Ohio. (Ian Roberts).
- 147836: N154AT went to A-4 LLC to fly as a contract bird.
- 148307 N156AT A-4L:">Pic1 at Marana; A-4L 148307 Pic2 at Marana. Greg Shephard, current status unknown.
- 148316: A-4L N157AT A-4L 148316 tail. Greg Shepard and then?
- 148446: N130AT went A-4L LLC to fly as a contract bird.
- 158486: put together by Air Capitol Warbirds. Cockpit section is 158486, wing is148602 and tail is 149540.
- 148500: A-4C Skyhawk N159AT to Illinois Aviation Museum in Bolingbrook, IL. or SWFDAM in Fl.
- 148502: N203AT A-4C RAF Group 45 Llc Box 1476, Ocala FL. from Michael Blackstock 1968.
- 148509: A-4C Skyhawk N204AT In compound 19Jul02. Eventually went to 'Warriors and Warbirds Inc. and is now on display there at Monroe NC.
- 148540: A-4C to Greg Shephard?, researching.
- 148573: A-4C N250AT Greg Shepard to National Warplane Musuem to be restored at a later date.
- 148576: tail went on 149606
- 148581: N207AT went to A-4L LLC to fly as a contract bird.
- 148590: forward fuselage at Marana
- 148597:A-4C N214AT Douglas 12790, being restored by Mike McDougall in Marana. Pampa Aircraft Leasing LLC Dover DL. Contact FL: Fred Machado.
- 148600: A-4L Douglas 12793 Watkins residence?
- 148602: N215AT Tail used on restoration N518TA BuNo 158486 TA-4J cockpit.
- 149500: N218AT A-4L with A-4 LCC, Anaheim CA. flying as a contract bird.
- 149502: N219AT A-4L Landstreet Investment Corp, Dallas TX. ? or A-4LLC ?
- 149540: formerly reserved for Malaysia parts, N220AT was used for parts for a TA-4J restoration N518TA BuNo 158416.
- 149550: A-4C N224AT Purchased by David Miles of United Kingdom, for restoration.
- 149555: : A-4L N225AT to aviation Technologies Fort Myers FL.
- 149575: 149575: N226AT SW Florida Defense Antiquities Museum FL.
- 149581: A-4C N227AT Purchased by J.P. Parizon of France, for restoration to museum. Forward fuselage section of Skyhawk BuNo 149581 as it awaits transportation to France. Tail section of Skyhawk BuNo 149581 as it awaits transportation to France. Photos Greg Shephard via Joe Turpen.
- 149591: N228AT with A-4 LCC, Anaheim CA. flying as a contract bird..
- 149595: 3A304 ND-314 Douglas A-4C Skyhawk 12920 N229AT Greg Shephard restore to fly.
- 149606: restoration, tail is from 148576 and wing is from 145131 to Titusville Museum.
- 149620: N233AT A-4L A4 INC Idaho Falls, ID Aero Mark
- 149636: N230AT A-4C Charles / Judith Nichols Baldwin Park, CA. or Nichols Chino CA A-4C.
- 149653: 3A740 Douglas A-4E Skyhawk 12978 19Jul02.
- 150581: N235AT to Museum in Ontario OR.
- 150585: Marana
- 150593: Marana
- 46 Skyhawks on this list. (Malaysian contract undelivered = 48)
Skyhawks last sited 07 NOV 2015 at what we believe to be Bill Maszala’s storage facility, ATW Aviation, Inc., in Marana, AZ.
Grp1: Five Skyhawks
Grp1: Eight Skyhawks, one without wings. And four T-Bird cockpits.
Skyhawks that were in the disposition yard(s) other than former Malaysian birds.
- 151050: 3A741 14 Douglas A-4E Skyhawk 13220 19Jul02
- 151064: 3A739 10 Douglas A-4E Skyhawk 13234 For Torrance Aero Museum, Fullerton, CA.
- 152012:3A646 Douglas A-4E Skyhawk13400 11Mar02 19Jul02 17Aug02
- 152070: 3A792 Douglas A-4E Skyhawk13458 11Mar02 19Jul02 17Aug02
- 158146: Forward fuselage former VT-7 A-722 T-Bird.
- 158486: put together by Air Capitol Warbirds. Cockpit section is 158486, wing is 148602 and tail is 149540.
- 158540: GV had it listed.
Cockpits for Fun
Mike Hoover is working on an early Skyhawk cockpit. PIC1
Skyhawk cockpit. PIC2
Skyhawk cockpit. PIC3
AOA panel question from Mike: Here are more pictures of a panel I found inside about where your knees would be when sitting in the seat. And the other is on the outside showing a panel from what I found was only on the A model. Other models have it but its a bigger size.
Association answer: Mike, shot in the dark but I think this is a mod data plate that was installed on the A-4D-1/-2/-2N and updated as appropriate. On the AOA: The square panel with the hole is for the angle of attack vane. It's square on the B, and most likely on the A. The C model AOA panel is round....probably the same on all subsequent models. Meanwhile, you appear to have a cockpit side panel from a C.
Skyhawk cockpit. PIC1
Skyhawk AOA cockpit. PIC2
Skyhawk AOA cockpit. PIC3
John Slezak has some cockpits in his garage, check out the photos below.
Pic4 A-4C Cockpit BuNo 14855x .
Pic5 A-4C Cockpit BuNo 14855x closeup.
Pieces and Parts
Aviation Services Pt. Suba Manggala
Office Address: Jl. Perintis No. 23 - Sarijadi 40151 Bandung - Indonesia
Phone: 62.93735464 Fax : 62.22.2004677 Mobile: 62.81312399996
email : email@example.com
158481: 2007: "The BuNo is 158481, Gabby got me the historical data on the airframe, where it was assigned, hrs, ldgs and such. Was accepted 2 Aug of 1972. I am in the process of selling the TA-4 section ......." John Slezak. [Front cockpit section only ]. Pic1; Pic2; Pic3; Pic4; Pic5; Pic6; Pic7; Pic8.
John Slezak also has some single seat cockpits in his garage.
Sonoma, CA. Skyhawk pieces/parts: including tail for 153683 at Sonoma, CA.
153683-Sonoma CA Skyhawk Pieces.
On 06/14/2011 11:06 AM, David Duarte wrote: By poking around I stumbled on to your (web) site much the same as I stumbled on to a 1 1/2 acre yard in the heart of the vineyards in Sonoma California. The yard holds a very large collection of A4's in various stacks and groups of parts. canopies , tail sections, landing gear, wing sections etc. all neatly stacked as if waiting for a buyer. The location is on the corner of the roads Denmark and 8th in Sonoma. This location sounds urban by the names but it is out in the middle of the vineyard boonnies. I pass by the site often and have spoken to the apparent owner/guardian. He was cordial and polite but not very informative. I do not know if the collection is available for sale but I have seen that the inventory has changed over the years. The ship's names and units are still readable on the sides of the fuselages. The Lexington and another ship maybe the Kitty Hawk were visible on a few of the tail sections . On the next trip I'll take notes and pictures and send them on to this site if anyone is interested. 38degrees 16 minutes 41.52secs North x122degrees 26 minutes 11.89 secs West.
Fate Unknown and/or too sad to talk about
1985-1987: Advanced Aero Enterprises A-4A Skyhawk BuNo 142191, N44AV, parked on the line. Fatal crash 4 June 1987 while filming a commercial at California City, CA. Photo from W. Mutza, photographer unknown.
Variant: A-4B; Custodian: Yanks Air Museum; BuNo: 142892; Location: Yanks Air Museum; Date: 19 August 2006; Contact: G. Verver; Photo Credit: Jim Winchester; Description: A-4B Skyhawk BuNo 142892, Yanks Air Museum, 19 August 2006. Pic1; Pic2:; Pic3
Have knowledge of the status of these A/C? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject: VA-44 A-4C on RR Flatcar
Date: 05/28/2015 09:34 PM
I just won this slide off of E-bay this evening (I do not have
the actual slide in hand yet, just a scan I saved).
The listing had minimal listing only that it was an "aircraft fuselage on a flatcar in Lowell, MA in 1970." I contacted the seller and they knew nothing more than their husband took the picture because he happened upon it and thought it was interesting!
My research brought me to your page (and a few others) but I could not find anything specific.
The slide was taken either on the Boston and Maine RR or the Penn Central RR (former New Haven) in Lowell but it doesn't really tell us which way the flat is going.
Looking at the picture I can see tail damage like it may have had a hard landing crumbling the fuselage near the exhaust. I also noticed near the exhaust it is stenciled "A-4C." I know "AD" on the tail is for VF/VA-44 out of Florida which was inactivated in May 1970.
Could this be from an accident earlier than 1969-70 and it only got around to being scrapped/disposed of because VA-44's inactivation and no other unit wanting it on their property books and/or the outgoing commander of VA-44 getting it scrapped as a way of getting it off the property books easier.
I just thought it was interesting that it was in Massachusetts and since it is most likely potentially scrap that it was "loaded with care." Any ideas? (I think that the buyer could have been a northern scrap yard).
[Webmaster: BuNo 145084 A-4C stricken on 29APR1969. Last service assignment was 23 OCT1967 with VA-44 at NAS Cecil Field FL. Wilfred Roberge 5/28/2015]
Marana Airport AZ Grp1 on 07NOV2015.
Marana Airport AZ Grp2 on 07NOV2015.